Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The Crash Bandicoot Trilogy


This time I will be reviewing Crash Bandicoot, Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, and Crash Bandicoot 3: WARPED. I have finished the trilogy and here I will decided which one is my favorite out of the three. The actual "reviews" on the games will be short, while the defining of my favorite will be longer.

Crash Bandicoot is a 2.5D Action Platformer. I don't even know what to call it. The entirety of the Crash series is known as being really fun and addictive, but hard as balls and yes they are. Especially the original Crash Bandicoot.

I finished Crash Bandicoot 1, quicker than the rest. I think it's shorter, as it only has 32 levels. I found this to be hard in the beginning but a little easy in the end. Which was not that great. But I liked the game overall. The first boss is a motherfucker...

Crash Bandicoot 2, seemed pretty difficult. All of the bosses were fairly challenging. It was an okay game. Really only the first world was easy, while the rest was hard.

Crash Bandicoot 3, was a mixture in difficulty. The different types of boards ranged from easy to hard. I liked that it was longer that most Crash games and gave you the opportunity to play with Crash and Coco as well as different types of stages.

Now, here's my verdict on the trilogy as I would rank them:

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back > Crash Bandicoot > Crash Bandicoot 3: WARPED

Now, let me explain.

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back was the most difficult. I put it down the most. I didn't really like the boss fights because they were cheap and difficult. Not to say that I didn't like this game, it's just my least favorite of the trilogy. My favorite part was the levels. Some of them were really fun and engaging. But I got tired of this game because it didn't seem to do that much different.

Crash Bandicoot was a good game. It wasn't great. But it was solid and worthy of a first entry. My only pet peeve with it was that you could only save if you got three of a certain item on a board. And if you got a game over, you'd have to start a few stages before. This was annoying because, like all Crash games, it can be irritating difficult because Crash dies in one hit. XD Overall, I liked the game and I would recommend it to those who like 2D Platformers.

Crash Bandicoot 3: WARPED, is my favorite game in the trilogy and in the Crash series. It's also one of my favorite games of all time. It's very well made and polished. I love that you can play as Crash and Coco in many different ways. Most of the stages have a lot of secrets and different pathways you can take which I really liked. The game was difficult, but not so difficult that it made me cuss at the screen like Crash 1 & 2. It was a good difficulty and had plenty of stages. This was the only game where I actually wanted to go back and get all of the collectibles. I'm not sure if I got them or not, though.

I think there's one thing that "corrupts" my list a little. It's that I played the games in reverse. I played Crash 3, 2, then 1. Which I think really effected my opinion on the trilogy. I suggest to those who haven't played a game in the Crash trilogy, they should play the games in order, because I would assume that they get better as the games go on.

Crash Bandicoot, Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, & Crash Bandicoot 3: WARPED can all be purchased on the PlayStation Store as PSOne Classics. They're all playable on PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, & PlayStation Vita.

In the end, as I said earlier, Crash Bandicoot 3: WARPED is my favorite of the trilogy.  That said, it is a great trilogy that is a real classic and I think everyone should at least try it out because they are very influential and special games for their time.

==

Undisputed Verdict:

Crash Bandicoot - 7/10

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back - 6.5/10

Crash Bandicoot 3: WARPED - 9/10

Thanks for reading and I'll see you next time!! ~Gothorita



No comments:

Post a Comment